Wednesday, October 21, 2009

So, what's on your iPod?, pt.4


The late 70s/early 80s was a very influential time for me. My life-long tabletop rpg addiction began then, as did my love for British metal. Bands like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Motorhead still dominate my music collection. The thing was, back then everyone liked those bands. That's why I had a special place in my heart for Saxon. It wouldn't be fair to say nobody was listening to Saxon back then, but among my circle of friends and acquaintances, I was the only one who really knew the band. So, I was especially saddened when Saxon started to decline in the mid-80s. Like with rpgs, golden age cool was giving way to silver age suck, eventually giving us grunge and "storytelling" games (my apologies to Nirvana and/or White Wolf fans but I'm old, so get off my lawn). Imagine my sheer, untarnished joy when Saxon came out with a truly great album in 2007! The Inner Sanctum is a return to the awesome sound of early Brit metal and to my youth.

-Rognar-

2 comments:

JB said...

Wow...that's a blast from the past!

Rognar said...

Hey JB, welcome aboard. Saxon had four awesome albums in the early 80s; Wheels of Steel, Strong Arm of the Law, Power and the Glory and Denim and Leather. The follow up, Crusader, was weaker, but the title track is probably their best single. Man, nothing beats that New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Even though this blog is primarily about tabletop rpgs, I like to talk a lot about music too.