Thursday, January 14, 2010

Evil Campaign

The DM mantle will pass to me in the next few months and I've been trying to figure out what I'd like to do. One of the ideas that I've had is running an evil campaign. As long as there is no outright back stabbing they can be a lot of fun.

The problem is motivation. In a sandbox campaign where the PCs can wander around and do what they want this isn't as big of an issue since the PCs will pretty much decide what they want to do and motivate themselves. With an AP or Module they are generally written to good characters. Getting the evil PCs from Point A to Point B can be a real challenge. From past evil campaigns, having a powerful patron is a good way to keep the PCs in line but all of the adventures I have in mind would require some major rewrites.

Now I can understand being a mercenary and taking gold to rescue the princess but when you are asked to protect a town from an army giants, the town is just not going to be able to offer enough money to entice the high level characters.

I have three fleshed out ideas in my head. Going evil will rule out one right away but the other two might be workable. Is there any interest in going evil next time around or shall we stick with the familiar neutral/good parties? I guess even lawful evil works ok since you aren't likely to go back on your word.

6 comments:

Rognar said...

I'm on record as being less than enthusiastic about evil campaigns, but I'm a team player. If that's what the consensus is, I'm on board. I think the key to making evil campaigns work is for at least some of the characters to be anti-heroes. They may despise their more vile comrades, but they won't resort to violence unless their personal honour is sorely tested. With the notable exception of the truly abominable Radikar, all of my previous evil characters follow this template.

Derobane-bane said...

An evil campaign? With Obri at the helm? I think this will be an outright bloodbath of greed and sinister deeds.

Count me in for this type of game.

My favorite evil game would be played with an evil group of PCs that are intelligent and organized. Sort of like the Die Hard villains. They were an awesome European team of genius thugs that simply wanted a bunch of bearer bonds. They were loyal to each other and knew they would prosper by sticking to the plan. Too bad Bruce Willis showed up.

"Ho ho ho. Now I have a machine gun."

Obiri said...

Yes. I've been pondering this further and I think I have something that might work. The Anti-hero thing is what I had in mind too. I intend to introduce a few house rules although none of them are terribly different then the way we play now.

If I have the baby reduced brain power to pull this off, I'll be pulling in sources from the late 70s to the present. Hopefully it will be as awesome as I imagine it. The PCs will be the equivalent of a D&D black ops team. It will be the expanded version of what I had in mind for the Play by Post that never went anywhere.

Derobane-bane said...

You know what would be really cool? An entire party of stealthy characters. A sans armor gang. Rogues, bards, wizards, sorcs and rangers.

Remember Radikar? The most stealthy, deadly and evil SOB to walk the realms... and he was a warlock.

Rognar said...

There is one evil character concept I've been thinking about lately. This next campaign might be the time to give it a try. Namely, an evil wizard looking for the secrets to becoming a lich.

Obiri said...

Stupid blogger ate my comment.

Ironically, until Alphonso get another level or two, my highest AC character will have been a Ranger/Scout - so light armor only.

The idea I have cooking will be very condusive to a stealth group - the first part anyway. We'll only do part 2 if everyone likes their characters and wants to continue after storyline A gets wrapped up.

The plan is to let everyone come up with the background they want and I'll do my best to work it in. Level 6 is a good place to start but I may change my mind.