Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Avatar...yeah, go see it.

I'm not sure if there's any point to reviewing James Cameron's new blockbuster, since everyone is going to see it. If for no other reason, everyone will want to see what half a billion dollars buys these days. The visual effects are like nothing you have ever seen before. Take the best of The Lord of the Rings and turn it up by an order of magnitude. They are reason enough to see it on the big screen in all its 3D glory. Good thing, because there's not a lot else to recommend it. The characters are rather one dimensional, the tone is preachy and annoying (with an obvious visual shot at the Alberta oilsands) and it was as much fantasy as sci-fi with floating mountains and pseudo-magical effects. Still, Avatar is crystal meth for your eyes. If you don't see it in the theatre, you're missing out, big time.

-Rognar-

6 comments:

Aaron E. Steele said...

Planning to see it this weekend.

I've had several people tell me it the best movie they have ever seen. Ever.

I'm trying my best to keep my expectations low.

Obiri said...

I'd like to go see it. I just picked up District 19 on DVD so I'll see how they compare.

Rognar said...

There's really no comparison. District 9 had a tiny budget compared to Avatar, but it is a far superior film in all ways except visual effects.

Obiri said...

So I finally saw District 9. It wasn't exactly what I was expecting which is probably a good thing.

What it a perfect super awesome movie? NO. But I did find it quite entertaining. It kept a not to serious tone throughout and the special effects were good enough for me.

It did kinda leave the door open to a sequel however...

Rognar said...

I have a higher opinion of District 9 than you apparrently do. Whenever I watch a sci-fi movie, I wait for the stupid moment. That point at which I stop believing what I'm watching. In Avatar, it was when they showed the floating mountains. In Independence Day, there were several, but the first was when a guy at a cable TV company figured out the alien countdown.

A few movies don't have that stupid moment and those are the ones I truly like, The Matrix, The Terminator and District 9 to name a few.

Obiri said...

I saw Avatar last night and I now understand your rating. The visuals are so overwhelmingly awesome its easy to overlook the many problems the actual movie has.

Don't get me wrong, I liked District 9. It was probably one of the better movies I've seen this year. I just wish they'd handled the mutation differently.